Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Yoga Momma

I went to my first prenatal yoga class tonight and it rocked. I haven't been to yoga in over a year, since Ben and I quit the sweaty, dripping wet, steamy, boiling hot version known as Bikram. As much of an event as Bikram was, I really liked it but we wanted something that dialed it back a notch or two and meant to try another studio and just never did. Well, now I've been saying for two months that I was going to go to prenatal yoga and finally with the belly starting to pop and some time off, I did it.
Tonight's class was the first time I've been in a room full of other pregnant women and that alone felt pretty cool. (I know there were times when I was single and hoping for love, family and a baby that it felt like I was in a room full of pregnant women but I think this was the first time it actually happened.) We started the class by going around and introducing ourselves and sharing a little about our pregnancy. There were about twenty of us and I really liked hearing all the different stages and concerns. Then we got started with a pretty typical yoga class, it just moved much slower. Lots of leg and hip stretches and no one was breaking a sweat going through a long flow series or launching into crow. Felt about my speed these days!
I liked our teacher a lot and loved two of her lines: "The only cure for pregnancy is delivery" and "whatever you do in yoga, don't smush the baby!" I plan on making this class part of my routine. Meanwhile, my sweet husband picked up dinner for us while I was in class. He's starting to make me look bad, I've been off work for two weeks and haven't cooked him dinner yet. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment