Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

NOLA

Last weekend we went to New Orleans for one of the best weekend trips ever. While it is not where most pregnant women go for a getaway, I can't imagine if I'd missed this weekend. One of my dearest friends, Heather, moved to the Big Easy this summer and we have been working on a reason to visit ever since. The 40th birthday celebration for another friend, Stephanie, seemed like the perfect reason to get down there. Stephanie is the girl with a million close friends that really are close friends. She is just that kinda girl. I have been so lucky to have her in my life and wouldn't have missed celebrating her for anything. It was easy to see how six couples from various parts of Steph's life wanted to celebrate with her. If everyone didn't know each other well on Friday, we all did by Sunday.

Like most who visit New Orleans, good food was a highlight of our trip - alligator cheesecake was a new discovery (thank you Jaques-Imos) and shrimp and grits never disappoint. Beignets at Cafe du Monde always, always will make me happy. The service leaves nothing to be desired and it's a definite tourist place but sometimes the tourists get it right. Our dinner on Saturday night included amazing Italian at Irene's. We also enjoyed a birthday King Cake for Stephanie that included not one but two lucky babies. Stephanie and her brother got the babies so these new cousins enjoyed lots of strange pictures of family bonding as the night went on.

We also hit Bourbon Street both nights for our birthday girl, which is when I discovered that I still want to dance to hiphop but the belly will eventually rebel. No hurricanes or hand grenades for me but I made it 'til after midnight both nights so I think I earned a stripe or two. The little lima bean really let me know what it thought about my curfew breaking. I had a rash all over my stomach and chest on Friday night when we got back to the hotel and then my belly button decided to start disappearing on me. It hasn't popped out yet but it looks like it's moving that direction.

Ben and I love New Orleans as it was the first place we traveled together. He says I was testing him out two years ago to make sure he could travel well, I don't know if that is what I was truly thinking when we visited; but I know our first trip there helped me fall completely in love with him. Now I know I could travel anywhere with him and be as happy as possible. It was really was fun to revisit our first destination two years further down the road together. So glad Stephanie had us along for her birthday celebration… we are awaiting an invitation to her 50th in NOLA!



Starting the night off with a birthday toast
Arriving in style thanks to Brian



The birthday girl found her groove
Listening to kaoroke at Cat's Meow




Afternoon sugar high



Happiness
Bourbon St.
I miss this girl!



The whole gang!


Ben's Cioppino at Irene's
 
The two preggos and a few bombers
Irene came out to say happy birthday





Time for Birthday King Cake




One of the new Bolton babies
The other Bolton baby - the night took a strange twist about now







No comments:

Post a Comment