Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

On The Run, errr, Walk

Last week I had a new discovery, my growing stomach and expanding abs no longer enjoy running; at all. Ben and I went to the gym one night to do some cardio on the machines. The treadmill is not my favorite way to run but when it's cold and dark, it works. It only took about five minutes for me to get a stitch right below my stomach. I switched over to walking of course but kept hoping if I tried a running pace again it would kinda settle in like a side stitch does, but after a few more times, I admitted defeat.

Two nights later, Ben and I went to boot camp and we did two warmup laps which I ran at the slowest 'this is a jog but not a walk' pace. Still the stomach pressure returned and my protective husband spoke up quickly in protest. I gave in to the walk. I'm only half way through my pregnancy so I didn't expect to hit this wall so soon. What about other friends who are in shape and ran until the end of their pregnancy? I thought that was going to be me. It's hard to accept because while I'm certainly not a badass, I'm okay with working out through some pain and kinda like and expect it sometimes. The sweatier I am at the end, usually makes me feel that much more accomplished. But now, it's not just me on this ride of fitness willpower, I have someone more important along with me who is calling the shots for my body. So I guess I'm (WE) are converted walkers. Good news, I can still exercise with lots of modifications at boot camp and prenatal yoga, thank goodness.

I made one more discovery lately, now 3:30 is my new wake-up time; my tiny bladder and insomnia brain don't even require an alarm clock thank you very much. I've had issues with sleeplessness in the middle of the night for several years, I wake up and then just feel wired with my to-do list running through my head. This is especially true at the first of a a school year or any time that work is crazy. I hate to get in a rut of taking Tylenol PM but a day or two of this sidekick usually does the trick. Obviously, that is no longer in my bag of tricks. So now, I'm here awake at 4:30 a.m. wishing I could just go ahead and head to work to get started so I'm not there way late today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment