Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I Love You So Much

     We have had a busy month since I posted last. At our February doctor's appointment, all was on track with the baby and I took the gestational diabetes test. I found out my results for the diabetes test a few days later and I didn't pass so I had to take the longer follow-up test to find out for sure. This was the first issue we've really had through this pregnancy and I was scared when I got the news that Friday. I knew gestational diabetes is temporary but it can also become permanent and if you have it with one pregnancy, it'll probably reoccur with future pregnancies. Can you see how my mind jumps ahead a few problems? Both of those situations were stressing me out.
 
     Ben was great and we went into carb monitoring/lockdown mode over the weekend between the tests. Veggies, veggies and more veggies. I know you can live very fully as a diabetic (I've seen my dad do it amazingly well) but it is a huge shift from my loosened sweet tooth eating habits of the last few months. I took my second test which includes the same horrible sugar drink, a few hours of waiting room time and wandering around Presby Hospital and four lovely blood draws. Then the wait was on for several days. Meanwhile, we were looking forward for our one year anniversary and babymoon is Austin. The day before we left for Austin, we got the fabulous news that I passed my test and do not have gestational diabetes. Relief & happiness!
 
      Our trip to Austin was a lot of fun. We took off work early on Friday to get down there before evening and we stayed just off Town Lake on South Congress. This is my favorite part of Austin. Friday night we met up with my longtime friend from junior high, Amy, and her family for Mexican food and ice cream. They have two little girls so it was fun to see them in parent mode just a few steps ahead of us. Saturday we walked and ate and shopped and walked and napped and ate and relaxed. We found a memento for each of us which we thought was fair - Star Wars tchotchke for Ben, necklace for me, Yoda onesie for baby - sense a theme for dad and baby? Saturday night we celebrated our anniversary with an amazing Italian dinner downtown at La Traviata. We are always on the menu lookout for homemade pasta and they had it so we jumped on it. Dinner brought back not only memories of our big day a year before but also our trip to Italy this summer. We also made a few guesses for how long it'll be til we get back to Italy - really hope our little one is a future traveler!! We finished off the night with a stop by the Driskill, a walk down 6th street and a pedicab ride home.
 
      The only glitch in our trip was on our actual anniversary on Sunday. Yet again, the polar vortex decided to invade Texas which doubled our drive time home and possibly added a few gray hairs for both of us. It was cold and rainy when we left Austin but by the time we were in Temple, ice was forming. As we moved north, the road just got icier and Ben's knuckles got whiter. Seeing a car spin out right across from us on the southbound lanes didn't help, nor the crazy drivers who insisted to continue to speed and weave between the rest of us who were slowing down for the roads. By the time we made it to Dallas we were both exhausted and grateful to just be off the road. Six hours to drive home was not what we expected but we were probably lucky compared to others that same night on nearby highways who were stuck the entire night! We did spend our anniversary night home and safe, enjoying a slice of our wedding cake, so I'm grateful.
      Celebrating our first anniversary and babymoon in one trip was fun and even the thought of it - both of these milestones at once - made me over the moon happy. Wow, we have had such an amazing year. I think Ben and I really appreciate it for all it is in part because we were both looking and waiting for this part of life for a long time. Now that we have it, we are ready to soak up every last bit. I kept thinking about if if had to choose, would I want to relive the last year with all of our adventures or this coming year. As much as I would love to experience our wedding day again, I'm pretty sure the adventure is just getting better. I posed this question to Ben and without hesitation he said he thinks there won't be a way to top what we are going to experience this May. Do I ever mention how much I LOVE this guy?
Had to add two of my favorites from our wedding
 



No comments:

Post a Comment